Sunday, January 27, 2013
I wanted to do a new project with my three's, so I thought I would do a snowflake print. I had actually seen this in The Mailbox magazine and they made it look so easy.
The idea was to cut out some snowflakes from tag board tape them to a piece of construction paper, then paint over them with white paper. Then remove the snowflake patterns. My first three paintings went okay, then problems ensued. The snowflakes got way too damp and then the tape would no longer stick to the snowflake, or the paper. I tried different kinds of tape and even tacky--no luck.
So I decided I would cut the snowflake pattern out of foam and stick that to the paper. Here the problem was the foam was too thick and the paint made the snowflake would flip, or the paint just seeped in too thickly.
Finally--when I only had about 5 paintings left to do, I came up with a brainstorm. I continued to use my foam shapes, but what I did was to paint the foam shapes. Then I had the children press them on their paper. I think they came out much better.
The Pre-K class also did snowflakes. Last year was my first experience with giving the children a folded piece of paper and letting them cut it. It didn't go too well for me, so I was a bit apprehensive about the project this year. Thankfully Mrs. D was there this year. She had the children use a small circle instead of a large square like I used last year. This went much better.
After the children cut out their pieces, they glued the snowflake to a piece of blue paper and put some "snow" glitter on them. They look beautiful hanging on the wall.